Coaching High Performance Facilitators
Simply put, a meeting cannot function without a facilitator. The facilitator designs the meeting process, then guides the participants toward the desired outcomes by following the agenda. Whether you are a professional facilitator or a team or project leader, be attentive to the process of the meeting as well as the content. With more meetings being held virtually across time and distance, good meeting design and strong facilitation skills are essential. What does a facilitator do?
Our facilitation consultants provide one-on-one or group coaching to professional and adhoc facilitators. We offer tailored programs in meeting design, facilitation skills and running successful remote meetings. We work with you in person, or use web meeting technology to coach you remotely. Either way, you receive personalized services from experienced consultants.
What does a facilitator do? read more...
- Establish the purpose and desired outcomes of the meeting
- Develop the meeting strategy with input from the stakeholders
- Communicate the purpose of the meeting
- Make sure participants are prepared by engaging them in pre-work activites
- Determine the optimal meeting environment, including technology
- Develop the agenda
To run the meeting, facilitators:
- Establish context and ground rules
- Orient participants (to each other, to tools and technology being used)
- Foster full participation
- Resolve difficult group dynamics
- Outline deliverables, assign tasks and establish deadlines
- Ensure the entire process is documented
Why be concerned about good meeting facilitation?
Poor meetings waste time and money, but they also may harm employee health. Professors in the U.S. and Britain recently surveyed 676 employees, who said they spend an average of 5.6 hours a week in meetings. The employees got gloomier and more anxious about their jobs the more time they spent in meetings they considered ineffective, says Steven Rogelberg, a principal researcher. — Wall Street Journal March 6, 2006; Page B3